St. George’s – Director of Music
83 Church St, St. Catharines, ON L2R 3C7
Term of employment: A two year renewable contract beginning September 1st 2020
Reporting to: Corporation of St. George’s, working under the direct supervision of the Rector
Hours: 20 hours a Week, schedule to be determined based on needs
Salary: Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications as negotiated.
(plus pension and benefits; honoraria for weddings and funerals are also provided)
1. Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree or Performance Diploma from a reputable school of
2. Knowledge of the Anglican tradition of church music is an asset
3. Experience in choir conducting is preferred
4. Successful applicants will need to provide a current, clean Vulnerable Sector Screening
(Police Record Check).
To provide leadership for the music ministry at St. George’s Anglican Church, St. Catharines;
enhance the church’s liturgies through music by leading the St. George’s Choir, supporting the
ministry of our Youth Choir, and encouraging congregational singing and musical participation
throughout the congregation.
1. Ensure that appropriate high standards of liturgical music are provided for all services
of worship through personal preparation and through the direction of the choir, support
for the youth choir and the direction of other musicians as required.
2. In consultation with the Rector, select and prepare music for worship services. Play for
weddings and funerals held at St. George’s as needed.
3. Recruit, mentor, prepare and provide leadership to members of the choir along with
guest musicians in a professional and positive manner.
4. Accompany the George Express Youth Choir and support the Youth Music Director.
5. Attend to the maintenance schedule for the organ and piano reporting any upcoming
maintenance needs to both the Rector and Treasurer
6. Support the overall ministry of St. George’s by participating as a key member of the staff
team including monthly staff meetings, cooperation with the Office Manager around
service bulletin preparation, and working effectively with paid soloists and volunteers of
7. Provide leadership within the worshipping communities of St. George’s by working
closely with clergy, with the Youth Music Director, and other community members.
1. Ability to play proficiently various styles of music on the organ and piano
2. Ability to lead teams through an open, honest, and approachable style
3. Ability to recruit, direct and motivate a volunteer church choir, along with paid soloists
4. Able to identify talents in others and to invite new people to participate in the life of the
church through music. A desire to creatively expand the music ministry of our church.
5. Excellent collaboration skills
+ + +
Resumes and cover letters are due by Friday March 27th. E-mail your application to The
Reverend Martha Tatarnic, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Interviews will take place between
April 14 and 22nd . Thanks for your interest are extended to all applicants. Those short-listed
for an interview will be directly contacted prior to April 5th .